A Chicago police spokesperson on Saturday said “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett is no longer considered a victim in the case that allegedly involved an attack by two masked men who shouted racial and anti-gay slurs at the actor and, “This is MAGA country!”
Police earlier said that the “trajectory of the investigation” shifted and that they wanted to conduct another interview with Smollett about the alleged hate crime last month. Police released two Nigerian brothers who were held for questioning about the reported attack. They were released late Friday without charges.
“We can confirm that the information received from the individuals questioned by police earlier in the “Empire” case has in fact shifted the trajectory of the investigation,” Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said in a statement. “We’ve reached out to the Empire cast member’s attorney to request a follow-up interview.” READ MORE